Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Interesting month

Been an interesting month. Have done very little editing at Best of the Web -- I'm suffering from editor burnout, a not uncommon malady of directory editors. One morning I'll wake up with a bug up my butt, and go on an editing rampage.

Visited the world's worst Outback Steakhouse in Northwest Albuquerque, just down the hill from Rio Rancho. Great service, worst prepared food I've had in a long, long time.

Even the San Marcos Resort managed to thoroughly disappointed me. We went in a couple of weeks ago for the Saturday Night Prime Rib Buffet that I've bragged on in this blog. Got there at 5 past 5, dining room was empty and this snot nosed kid asked if we had reservations. I said no, and he said we had to sit in the lounge. Hey, stupid, we showered, the dining room is empty, it is the middle of a recession and we are paying customers. He showed us to the table in the bar area and left. We never sat down, just turned around and walked out the door. We haven't been back. May not be back, either. Screw 'em. They don't need my business, I don't need their food. Or attitude. Yet people wonder why so many restaurants are failing.

If you own a restaurant, understand one thing. You are not doing me a favor by being in business. I'm the one doing you a favor by walking through your door. If you don't meet my expectations, I won't come back and if that happens to enough of your customers, you'll be in the newspaper listed as another failed restaurant. That is if the newspaper doesn't fail first.

And while I'm on a roll, I have a few unkind words for the marketing droids at Sprint/Nextel. My contract expires in a few months. I've been following your website to see what kind of phone I will get with my credit. *poof* Apparently on May 1 you changed the rules of the game. I can only get a new phone if I increase my service level by one notch. Push-to-talk this: there are plenty of other cell phone vendors -- despite your marketing you are all essentially the same -- and I'll switch before I get jacked up by you. So tell the marketing genius who decided to try and jack my rates that he lost a customer -- and I was the best kind of customer because we rarely used our cell phone, so the money we paid was virtually all profit. Not a lot of profit, mind you, but profit nonetheless.

This recession is going to wipe out a lot of companies that have done little more than consume oxygen for years.

No comments: