Thursday, December 13, 2007

Chase Bank and the Ethics Void

For a long time I used to get unsolicited mortgage offers from Chase Bank. Finally got enough of them to call one night and inform that them my mailbox was off limits to them for any future solicitations.

Took them a couple of months to turn off the flow, but eventually they did stop.

I didn't even make a big issue out of the fact they were misspelling my last name. No biggie.

So in today's mail, here come a letter from Chase.

Our records currently show that we haven't been mailing any Chase offers to you. We're writing to let you know that we're changing the way we manage preferences for receiving these offers. the change allows you more options to specify which mail offers you do not want to receive from us.

OK, so far they have patted themselves in the back for doing what I told them to do, and decided that they had one something of such monumental importance that they could disregard my instructions and tell me about it.

Please tell us by January 24, 2008, which offers you do not want to receive; unless you tell us otherwise, you may begin to receive offers in the mail about these products and services.
Wait a minute.

Wait a minute.

Wait a minute.

Let's recap. I opted out. You changed your system and will automatically opt me back in unless I opt out all over again.

Nice ethics. My initial preference apparently means nothing to you. Not a thing. And if I had just tossed this letter unopened, you'd have begun flooding my mailbox starting in February.

Of course, there was no telephone number where I could call and express my outrage. Nice. Highly ethical!

Explain to me again how I am supposed to engage in financial transactions with you in the somehow misguided belief that you can be trusted to keep your word?

No comments: